Senior Creative Technologist / Digital Communications Strategist at Praekelt in Johannesburg
Praekelt Foundation builds open source, scalable mobile technologies and solutions to improve the health and wellbeing of people living in poverty. Our programs have reached over 50 million people across 15 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
Praekelt Foundation was founded in early 2007 by Gustav Praekelt and Robin Miller in response to the opportunities created by the rapid and unprecedented spread of mobile phones across Africa. Gustav, a digital entrepreneur and obsessive technologist, saw how many of the mobile technologies his consultancy developed could be used to give communities access to services & information which had previously been inaccessible.
“The digital divide is beginning to close. The flow of digital information through mobile phones, text messaging, and the Internet is now reaching the world’s masses, even in the poorest countries, bringing with it a revolution in economics, politics, and society.” Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University
Extreme poverty almost always goes hand in hand with extreme isolation, but mobile technologies and services have the capacity to end all forms of extreme isolation, becoming the most transformative technology of economic and social development.
Mobile phone technology has proved so powerful and the benefits so compelling that there are now more than 450 million mobile phones in Africa, almost one for every two people on the continent. And mobile penetration is rising sharply.
Ubiquitous in villages as well as cities, mobile phones do more than just provide a means for people to communicate with each other, however. The rural poor in more and more of the world now have access to wireless banking and payment systems, such as Kenya’s famous M-Pesa system. Farmers can connect directly through mobile phones, enabling them to sell their crops at higher rates and without delay, while buyers can move those crops to markets faster and more efficiently, resulting in less spoilage and lower prices for final consumers. And this is just the beginning. The services carried on the new mobile networks and platforms span public health, medical care, education, banking, commerce, entertainment and governance. Working together with NGOs, governments and social organisations we have an opportunity to build a shared network to develop, host and deliver these transformative services to the people who most need them.
Praekelt Foundation’s aim is to create the next generation of mobile services for the developing world by developing scalable, open source, mobile technologies that will allow a myriad of applications to be built and deployed.
Our mobile technology solutions are:
- Robust enough to meet the challenges of emerging markets
- Open source and continually under development
- Scalable, flexible and cost-effective
- Designed to facilitate dialogue between audiences and service providers
Senior Creative Technologist/ Digital Communications Strategist
We are looking for a Senior Digital Communications Strategist/ Creative Technologist who will bring expertise in campaign analytics as well as strong experience in designing innovative and effective communication strategies to join our team of digital strategy experts. You will take responsibility for optimising brand communication platforms, establishing consumer insights and finding ways of building communities for our clients and campaigns planned across Africa, as well as ensuring that these platforms perform optimally and that brand and campaign targets are reached.
Here’s what the role entails:
Developing Exceptional Digital Strategies: We’ll rely on you to develop exceptional, insightful, creative and practical digital strategies for our clients.
Working Collaboratively with the Creative Studio and Engineering teams to realise your strategies: We believe in working in multidisciplinary teams to exceed the expectations of our clients and help them to meet their business objectives. You will need to work collaboratively with the Creative Studio team consisting of Designers, Front End Developers and Creative Directors and the Engineering team to ensure that strategic, creative and technological objectives align.
Manage a team: We are in the process of growing our Creative Technology team and as a senior member of the team, you will be expected to help to grow and mentor the team.
- Work as part of the Creative Technology team to design insight driven, innovative and effective digital strategies, working through all steps from opportunity identification to consumer experience.
- Provide an optimisation strategy and platform recommendations for campaigns which incorporate multiple channels and technologies including web, wap, sms, USSD and social networks and which take into account the challenges and differences that exist for different regions in Africa.
- Take full responsibility for all strategic requirements relating to the development of social platforms, working closely with the Creative Technology team to ensure alignment with overall campaign strategies.
- Make use of appropriate social media and campaign measurement tools to continually assess campaign performance with a view to providing Account Management teams and Clients with timely notification of any concerns and unique insights into campaigns.
- Take full responsibility for social reputation management and tracking for our clients.
- Take full responsibility for the monitoring and management of campaigns and live platforms from a strategic perspective
- Advise on appropriate media campaigns designed to attract relevant followers to social platforms, and manage the roll-out of these campaigns where necessary.
- Provide detailed and up to date evaluations of the social media environment, as well as the competitive and resource realities, across Africa.
- Provide consumer profiles and insights and be responsible for implementing any qualitative research within the company.
What will set you apart from other applicants:
- Knowledge or experience in social network projects created for mobile
- Experience as an active and passionate Blogger, Tweeter and/or Facebook-er
- Creativity, resourcefulness and ability to come up with innovative content
- Experience in the implementation of in-depth social platform analysis tools
- Experience in working on Pan-African campaigns
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills in working in a multi-cultural setting, with multi-national campaigns and distributed teams.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification in new media, marketing, IT or other relevant field
- Strong quantitative analytical expertise
- An avid consumer of digital and social media, always in the know about the latest trends, technologies and platforms
- Focused not just on the brand, but on the experience of the end user
- Interested in creating enduring customer relationships and long term solutions
- A creative and practical problem solver who understands the importance of measurability
- Good people management skills with experience in managing a team
- A confident communicator with deck writing and presentation skills
- Can work unsupervised in an unstructured open environment
- Excellent attention to detail and fanatical about deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
Interested in joining our team? We’d love to speak with you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to start the conversation.